The Sport Premium is an allocation of additional funding given to schools to support the development of Physical Education, School Sport and Competition.
All schools are required to report on the amount of funding received and how this is being used, as well as the impact this is having on pupils.
At St. Wilfrid’s C.E. Primary School, we recognise the contribution of PE to the health and well-being of the children. We believe that an innovative, varied PE curriculum and extra-curricular opportunities have a positive influence on the concentration, attitude and academic achievement of all our children.
Click here for the Department of Education link to the Primary School’s Sports Funding page.
What is the Sports Premium?
The government is providing additional funding for sport and PE provision. For 2017-2018 St Wilfrid's received £15,468.00 funding, plus a surplus from 2016-2017 of £2,482.00, totalling £17,950.00.
Recently the government has committed to funding the primary school Sports Premium up until 2020.
Purpose of the funding
Schools must use the funding to make additional and sustainable improvements to the quality of PE and Sport they offer. They have to spend the sport funding on improving their provision of PE and sport, but they will have the freedom to choose how they do this.
Possible uses of the funding include:
- Hiring specialist PE teachers or qualified sports coaches to work alongside primary teachers when teaching PE
- New or additional Change4Life sport clubs
- Paying for professional development opportunities in PE/sport
- Providing cover to release primary teachers for professional development in PE/sport
- Running sport competitions, or increasing participation in the school games
- Buying quality assured professional development modules or material for PE/sport
- Providing places for pupils on after school sport clubs and residential visits
Please click on the link below to see our Sports Premium Allocation for Academic Year 2017-2018 and how it made an impact.